Saturday, July 29, 2017

FOUR TELUGU NOT-SO-HORROR MOVIES YOU NEED TO WATCH

By Sanika Shalgaonkar (Team Creative)

The first time I was exposed to a Telugu horror movie was over the summer and honestly, I wasn’t too thrilled about watching it simply (I’m easily scared). Considering it was an 8 year old kid whom I was babysitting who suggested that we watch the movie, I didn’t want to seem like a wimp. So I convinced myself that I’m an ‘adult’ and ‘capable of handling’ something an 8 year old kid can. I put on the movie that he suggested and I’ve honestly never laughed more.

DISCLAIMER: I don’t know Telugu, and these are all based on my interpretations of the movie as a non-Telugu speaker!

1) KALPANA GUEST HOUSE

The thing that struck me most about this movie was their idea of what a woman would look like if a ghost possessed her. They didn’t even bother to conceal the fact that she was wearing a mask, probably because they thought everyone would be too distracted by her hair whipping around in the wind.


2) NAGA BHAIRAVI

One of the funniest scenes I’ve ever witnessed is from this movie and involves a maid and the Devil. The maid is dressed in a blazer, sporting kickass shades and smoking inside a room (???). But all that was before she encountered the Devil. The Devil is actually a little girl in a cute pink sundress just standing behind a rack of clothes with half her face destroyed (a bad attempt at makeup).  The girl does absolutely nothing while the maid yells and screams. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?


3) CHITRAM BHALARE VICHITRAM

This is a movie about a movie being shot (and obviously, a ghost is involved). The ghost enters the body of the lead actress (duh) and they shoot the entire movie knowing that the actress is possessed. The funniest scene in my opinion, is where a guy is supposed to be proposing to her, and he holds out a rose, his hands evidently shaking and while all this is happening, but she looks positively TERRIFYING. Her eyes are as wide as they can go and her movements very robotic, and to add to that, the director keeps yelling cut, saying there is no ‘feel’ in the acting.


4) AKIRA

In this movie, there’s a shadow-like woman wearing all blackm with long black hair, who enjoys slapping people (of course). I tried to count the number of slaps in this movie but there are just way too many. There’s one particular scene where an intoxicted man slaps her back until another man comes in and tells him she’s a ghost and they both run away. Just an average ghost story plotline, as always.


No comments:

Post a Comment

In Retrospect – Kaleidoscope, 2017

By Komal Badve (Team Creative)  Once upon a time, not too long ago, approximately 200 ladies sitting at the grand marble staircase in ...